ABSOLUTELY! Our name "2TRACK" Mastering is because I got my start recording and editing on 1/4" 2-track analog tape.
I can accept projects on 1/4" tape, on reels up to 12" diameter, recorded at 7.5 or 15ips.
If you are restoring or re-mastering a project from older tape, there can be issues with "sticky shed syndrome" or other aging/deterioration -
for tapes with only minor issues I can safely handle restoration in-house, but for tapes with excessive deterioration issues
or tapes of historical significance I will refer you to a tape restoration specialist.
If you're preparing a NEW project on 1/4" tape (awesome!), we'd recommend the following practices:
- Use NEW tape manufactured by ATR Magnetics or Recording the Masters. Don't use old tape.
- Use 1.5mil tape (ATR Master, RTM 900/911/468) not the thinner long-play variants
- Make sure your machine has been properly calibrated and aligned before recording
- Include test tones on your tape - 100Hz, 1000Hz, 10kHz @ 0dbVU at least 10 seconds each
- Separate test tones from program material with a few seconds of leader tape
- Properly label your tape with: test tones at head or tail, test tone frequencies, recording speed 7.5/15ips, EQ type (NAB/CCIR), operating level in nWb/m, Noise Reduction if any, track listing/order
- store tape slow-wound / tails out
- 15 seconds of leader tape at head & tail
- if possible, 2-4 seconds of leader between songs